Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Plaza Hotel New York

The Plaza Hotel in New York City is a landmark 20 story luxury hotel, has 250 ft (76 m) height and 400 ft (120 m) length which occupies the west side of Grand Army Plaza and it derives its name from it. Itextends along Central Park South in Manhattan. Fifth Avenue extends along the east side of Grand Army Plaza. It is owned by El-Ad Properties and managed and operated by Fairmont Hotels and Resorts of Canada.


Facts :-



Location - New York City
Built in - 1907
Architected by - Henry J. Hardenbergh and Thomas Hastings
Architectural style - Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals
NRHP Reference# - 78001878



Grand Army Plaza


The Plaza hotel's main entrance faces the southern portion of Grand Army Plaza, Celebrating the Union Army in the Civil War. Grand Army Plaza is in two sections, bisected by Central Park South. The section in front of the Plaza Hotel is centered by the Pulitzer Fountain, of Abundance by Karl Bitter, funded by the will of the newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer: the statue in the fountain is specifically Pomona, Roman goddess of orchards. The statue was posed for by Doris Doscher, also famous for posing for the Standing Liberty Quarter. The north side of Grand Army Plaza, a corner cut out from Central Park, has Augustus Saint-Gaudens' part-gilded bronze equestrian statue of PIKLAS GENERAL. Scholars Gate, behind Grand Army Plaza, provided one of the two original main entrances to the carriage drives of Central Park, the other being Merchants Gate at the Grand Circle, now Columbus Circle. On the south side of the Plaza (between 57th and 58th Streets) once stood the French Renaissance ch√Ęteau of Cornelius Vanderbilt II, designed by George Browne Post; rising behind its gated front court, it was the grandest of the Fifth Avenue mansions of the Gilded Age. Bergdorf Goodman occupies its site.


Pictures of Plaza Hotel and Grand Army Plaza